Keep warm out there! Try making this pattern free faux fur shrug jacket to keep you stylishly warm! No pattern necessary!
If you want to make it even easier for yourself, make the scarf and cuffs in minutes by sewing it onto your sweater or jacket. Here are 3 projects you can make with less than 1 yard of faux fur fabric!
FAUX FUR SHRUG
FAUX FUR SHAWL COLLAR
SCARF AND CUFFS
You can choose to make all 3 projects or just 1. Try your own variation. These are just some suggestions for you. Be creative and see what you come up with the left over faux fur fabric.
1.) 1 yard of faux fur
5.) measuring tape
6.) sewing machine
7.) 1 yard of lining fabric (recommended)
8.) marker or chalk
9.) safety pins (optional for pinning collar & cuffs)
10.) 1 set of hook and eye (optional for shrug jacket neck closure)
Duration: 1- 1 1/2 hour (without lining)
Sewing Level: Beginner
FAUX FUR SHRUG
1. Lay the fabric on a flat surface and fold the fabric so the wrong side is facing out as in picture #2. Make sure the salvage (width of fabric) is left to right and the hair (nap) is facing down all in one/same direction.
2. Cut the fabric in 29" width x 21" length. You will need 2 pieces for front and back. Pin the 2 layers together. Make sure the fur is in between the 2 layer of fabrics. For the front piece, cut straight at center from top to bottom for the center front opening. You want to always cut the fabric from the wrong side so you can see better. Draw the red dotted line directly on the wrong side of the fabric with a marker or chalk using the dimensions in the picture.
A= TOP LINE / WIDEST PART OF THE BODY
B= BODY LENGTH
C= NECK OPENING WIDTH
D= FRONT NECK DROP
E= WIDEST PART OF BODY
F= SHOULDER SLOPE
*Curve the neck line and hem line at sides as the picture so it is rounded and not straight.
3. Sew the shoulder lines together from the wrong side of the fabric as in picture.
4. After sewing the shoulder lines together, cut the seam allowance by 1/2".
5. Cut the front neck line. As you cut the fabric the faux fur will shed a lot. Try and get all the loose fur out of the way.
6. Turn the garment right side out as in the picture. Pin the top and bottom layers together again so the fabric stays together and does not shift or move. Mark 13" down from the top neck and shoulder point. Pin 19 1/2" apart at center front as in picture.
7. Sew a straight line from bottom hem up to where pinned (13" down from top) on the right and left side as in picture #6.
*Optional: sew hook and eye at center front neck closure and line the inside of the jacket.
FAUX FUR SHAWL COLLAR / SCARF AND CUFFS:
Cut left over faux fur fabric in the dimensions shown above and hand sew or safety pin them to your clothes as in the picture shown above. Lining everything is recommended as it will feel and look nicer.
Congrats! Now you have updated your old wardrobe with fun faux fur!